Kkotdaon: Fine Dining in Pyeongtaek [PIEF Foreign Reporter]

Those who value an elegant fine dining experience will be delighted by a visit to Kkotdaon in Pyeongtaek. As a foreigner here, I have often wondered where to find a restaurant to celebrate special occasions without having to travel far from home. Kkotdaon is just that place.

An Elegantly Eclectic Interior

I recently visited Kkotdaon with my PIEF partner, Hyerim. She had suggested that we visit a restaurant that was designated as a “Good Restaurant” by the City of Pyeongtaek. I did not realize the significance of this designation, but Hyerim explained that this is a seal of approval that denotes a high quality restaurant.

Kkotdaon is described as Korean table d’hote which simply means you order a multi-course meal for a set price. This is perfect for those of us who want to try various Korean foods but don’t always know what to ask for. The English menu explained that “Kkot” means flower, so all of the set menus are creatively named after flowers. We chose the “Cornflower” set, priced at 25,000 won per person. This was the smallest set on the dinner menu, and it listed 11 separate dishes plus an additional 6 banchan (side dishes).

Traditional brass cutlery sets off the starter dishes: corn porridge and a chilled radish soup

Our meal began with a chilled radish soup and a seasonal corn chowder. It was lovely. Just as I was finishing, the server started bringing out the next courses. Hyerim showed me how to make up the little wraps by carefully using my chopsticks to fill them as I pleased. I chose to add a bit of each of the 6 ingredients into each wrap. The sauce had just a little kick to it and set off the flavors perfectly.

Chil Jeon Parn (6 ingredients with wraps) and House Salad

Making the Wrap

Just as we were finishing the wraps, the server brought another round. Each of the courses were delicious, but the spicy octopus with thin noodles was my very favorite.

Spicy pork, Hand-made Tteokgalbi, and House Salad

Cornflower Set Menu

Oh, the Octopus!

Looking around, I noted the attention to detail. The décor at Kkotdaon is an eclectic mix of western style vintage furniture combined with displays of artisan pottery. The middle of the room showcases a grand piano and there are many plants throughout the restaurant to purify the air and calm the spirit.

As a foreign visitor, I felt that Kkotdaon was particularly welcoming to me and easy to access. There was an English menu available and my server spoke English and answered my many questions about the food. I learned that the master chef creates all the sauces by hand to compliment the traditional gourmet dishes prepared from fresh, locally-sourced foods. No MSG is ever usedthe chef relies fully on quality ingredients and skillful preparation.

Kkatdoan also serves a lunch set available Monday to Friday from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. according to their menu. As always, it is advisable to call ahead if you have questions.

I am eagerly looking forward to my next special occasion. You’ll find me at Kkatdaon savoring the delicious traditional Korean fare.


Visit Kkatdoan Restaurant:

 

Address: 37, Bijeon, 5-ro, Pyeongtaek-si, Gyeonggi-do

Phone: 031-618-7665

 

Follow Kkotdaon on Instagram at kkotdaon_b

 

This article is written by Rose Godfrey a PIEF Foreign Reporter

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post