Still trying to get the hang of using Korean? Suppose you're not yet too comfortable or familiar with the Korean language. In that case, Pyeongtaek Insight is here to help you with some Korean lingo to hopefully make life a bit easier during your stay in Korea! For today's 101 lesson, we've prepared a few words and phrases typically used in a hospital setting.

 

Doctor - 의사('ui sa')

 

(Ex. “의사 선생님을 볼 수 있어요?” [uisa sonsaengnimeul bol ssu issoyo] “Can I see a doctor?”)

Nurse - 간호사('gan hosa')

 

(Ex. "간호사 불러 주세요." [ganhosa bullo juseyo] "Please call a nurse.”)

 

Patient - 환자('hwan ja')

 

(Ex. "의사가 지금 다른 환자에게 진료하고 있어요" [uisaga jigeum dareun hwanjaege jilryohago issoyo] "The doctor is treating another patient right now.”)

 

Medicine - ('yak')

 

(Ex. "진통제 필요해요." [jintongje yak piryohaeyo] "I need some painkiller medicine.”)

 

Go on crutches - 목발을 하다('mokbareul hada')

 

(Ex. "뼈가 부려져서 목발을 해야 해요." [ppyoga buryojoso mokbareul haeya haeyo] "I have to use crutches because I broke a bone."


 

To vomit - 토하다('to hada')

 

(Ex. "어제 먹은 것을 토했어요." [oje mogeun goseul tohaessoyo] "I threw up everything I ate yesterday.”)

 

To break out a fever - 열이 나다('yeori nada')

 

(Ex. "열이 난 것 같아요." [yeori nan got gatayo] "I think I have a fever.”)

 

To have surgery - 수술을 받다 ('susureul batta')

 

(Ex. "수술을 받아야 해요." [susureul badaya haeyo] "You need to have surgery.”)



To hurt - 아프다 ('apeuda')

 

(Ex. "배가 너무 아파요." [baega nomu apayo] "I have a stomachache." / "My stomach really hurts.”)

 

Was this short Korean lesson helpful to you? We hope it was! Let us know about any more Korean vocabulary and phrases you wish to learn!